Monday, May 20, 2024

Military/Military Spouse/Veteran/Veteran Spouse PT/PTA Endorsement Applicant Instructions

To apply for licensure by endorsement, a military member, military spouse, veteran or veteran spouse must have an active physical therapist or physical therapist assistant license in another state. NOTE: A physical therapist or physical therapist assistant MUST have a current North Carolina license PRIOR to practicing physical therapy in North Carolina. Military Trained applicants click here for additional information. All Military/Military Spouse/Veteran/Veteran Spouse will have an expedited process to licensure.

Using the Application Instructions, Military Applicants who have Active Military/Military Spouse/Veteran/Veteran Spouse status will apply for a PT/PTA license the same as other applicants with these differences:

  • Application Fee Waiver: Military will have the application fee waived; however, will be required to submit payment for FBI Fingerprint Criminal Background Check costs. Military must answer yes to military on the application and choose military status, then upload an accepted form of Military Identification to receive waiver of the application fee.
  • Proof of Military Identification: Example: Military ID, Military Orders, Military discharge forms for waiver of application fees. The Board will request this when application is received and can be returned via email or fax, if not uploaded when the application is completed online.
  • Certification of Education: By submission of a transcript from the educational institution or Educational Credentials Review.

Temporary Military Permit

Military applying by Endorsement may also be eligible for a Military permit. A temporary military permit holder has the privilege of working as a PT or PTA in NC for one year or until the licensure process is completed. To obtain a Temporary Military permit, the applicant must complete and submit the following:

  • Application Form with ALL sections completed.
  • Documentation of Military Status as either an Active Military member, military spouse, or veteran/veteran spouse.
  • Verification of an active license in another state: Board staff verify active PT/PTA Licensure in another state. Note: if the Board staff are not able to verify the active license online, a temporary permit will not be issued until verification is received by request of the applicant from the other state directly.

    Temporary Permits are valid only if and when the permit holder is licensed in another state. Therefore, the permit holder must at all times maintain an active license in another state for the temporary permit to remain valid. The Board must be advised of any change in status of the underlying license immediately.

  • Once active licensure has been Board member verified, the Temporary Permit number is issued and emailed to applicant.

To obtain full Licensure Status, the applicant must complete the rest of application within one year.

Questions?  Email
Website Feedback?  Email