All continuing education courses and activities must meet the criteria described in Rule 21 NCAC 48G .0107 and be approved to qualify for points toward continuing competence requirements for license renewal. Links to the NC Physical Therapy Practice Act and Rules governing continuing competence activities and requirements, as well as a list of Approved Continuing Competence Courses and Providers, are available on the Board Website.
If the course has been approved by one of the following, an application is NOT needed:
- A state chapter or section of APTA, APTA approved residency or fellowship
- The Federation for State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT)
- A state PT licensure board in the US or Canada
- IACET (International Association for Continuing Education and Training)
- The NC Department of Public Instruction, NC Division of Public Health and NC AHEC (PT related activities)
Instructions for completing an application
- Review the rules governing continuing competence activities and requirements.
- Check if course or activity is listed on Board website or has been approved.
- Complete all required sections of the application.
- Attach all required documentation:
- Course brochure with course schedule, course description and agenda
- Learning Objectives of course
- CV for each presenter
- A copy of all written instructional materials distributed to participants
- Description of relevance to physical therapy and available references of scientific evidence
- Description of Instructional Methods
- Certificate of Course completion
- Description or Copy of Participant Assessment tools
- Course evaluation materials
- Sample Attendance Sheet
- Sign and date both attestations.
- Pay application fee online ($25 for an NC licensed PT or PTA; $150 for all other providers).
Send completed application and all documentation to PTBoard@ncptboard.org or mail to NCBPTE, 8300 Health Park, Suite 233, Raleigh, NC 27615.
If request for course approval is denied, a letter indicating the reason for denial will be sent. Appeals may be made by letter of reconsideration submitted to the Board office within 15 days of receipt of the denial addressing the reason(s) the denial should be reconsidered. The Board will consider the letter and inform the applicant of the decision via mail.
NOTE: If course approval is desired prior to the date of an activity, course providers/sponsors should submit applications 60 days prior to the activity; licensees should submit applications 30 days prior to the activity. If a denial letter is not received within 10 days by a licensee, or 30 days by a course sponsor, is it is approved. The activity will be assigned a number and posted on the Approved Providers and Course Listing on Board website at www.ncptboard.org
Reminder: All approved course providers/sponsors must submit a “Verification of Attendance.” Include the following information:
- Printed full name
- Signature of the licensee
- Professional designation of licensee and NC PT license number
- Date(s) of attendance
Attendance lists should be submitted to the Board within 90 days of completion of the approved activity; failure to comply may jeopardize approval of future continuing competence activities.
Questions? Email PTBoard@ncptboard.org
Course Approval Application Form
Course Approval Application Form Updated 01-17-2023
CC Course fee for PT License Holders ($25)
CC Course fee for Other Applicants ($150)